Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Corax The Magnificent


Day 155: The largest Raven I have ever seen came strutting up to the front stoop of the Administration Building at Longmire today as if he purposed to walk into the Hiker Information Center to ask for a permit. Visitors passed within twenty feet of him, and although he kept a watchful eye on them, his composure was unruffled until someone made a sharp noise. He was also fully aware of me above him, leaning out the office window for this shot.

Ravens are fairly common around Mount Rainier, and now is their nesting season. My resident pair at home are setting up housekeeping somewhere close by. This will be their third year together. I am fairly sure that this bird is one of the pair I've often seen together around Longmire.

No comments:

Post a Comment