Wednesday, March 20, 2013

One Of Those Days


Day 169: "People are no damn good." The little guy on the plaque imparted that bit of wisdom to me when I was about eight years old. He was featured on a square-sided coffee mug which my uncle Gus gave my mom for Christmas. My mom used the mug rarely and only for cocoa, and as many times as I tried to talk her into giving it to me, she only turned it over into my keeping a few years before she passed away. The mug is still in my possession, but I felt the sentiment needed a wider audience. I created the plaque by using a photocopier to enlarge it and then traced it with India ink. The varnish has yellowed over the years, but "People Are No Damn Good" hangs on the "trivia wall" in the kitchen (an eclectic collection of small whatnots). The mug still sees occasional use during eggnog season.

I've always wanted to do a personal version of my mascot, and I can't help but think I'm starting to look like my mother. She was the spittin' image of the nebbish on the mug.

No comments:

Post a Comment