Sunday, April 21, 2013

Dicentra Gone Slightly Mad


Day 201: Anyone who has been around me for any length of time knows that I hate pink, although I will excuse certain shades of it in flowers (not that I'd deliberately plant any of them in my yard).

Last summer, our phone company buried their lines along the road here. In order to do so, they had to cut back the brush along the verge, and in doing so, opened up several areas to sunlight which had previously been in dark shade. Yesterday, I noticed that both Trilliums and Dicentra (Bleeding Hearts) had sprung up where they had not previously been seen. I wonder how long the bulbs and roots had lain there, waiting for a ray of light? It's been at least 20 years that I can personally account.

Both species are fragile and difficult to transplant, so I will simply enjoy them where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment