Monday, April 15, 2013

Hirsute


Day 195: Last year, I threw some mixed poppy seeds out into the garden, not really knowing what to expect. Could have been Iceland, could have been Shirley...the only thing I knew was that they weren't the big Oriental poppies I rank among the most persistent of weeds. Ever try to root Oriental poppies out of your flower bed? I wanted mine somewhere else because they hung over the sidewalk and were so huge, I had to navigate around them. It took at least half a dozen years before I'd eradicated the last of them, save for one I relocated to the back yard where it can grow with abandon. But all that aside, I like Shirley poppies and Iceland poppies and those other delicate, papery-petalled small varieties, but after I tossed the seed packets away, I promptly forgot what types I'd sowed.

Nothing came up last summer and I assumed the seeds had been eaten by the birds who seem to like to follow right along behind me when I plant. Well, apparently they missed a couple. Won't be long now before the species mystery is solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment