Monday, May 20, 2013

The Bad Penny


Day 230: I tried to give it away. Really, I did. I've made dozens of quilts in my day and several years ago, I finally decided I'd done enough despite the fact that I was about halfway through the handwork on one in progress. I put it in the trunk for "maybe some day," but "some day" never seemed to arrive. To further reinforce my decision not to quilt, I gave away my quilting hoop as well.

While trying to thin down my accumulation of stuff, I stumbled across the quilt again. "Dang," sez I to self, "I am never going to work on that thing. I should find it a good home." Thus it was that I delivered it along with several of my great-grandmother's quilts to my good friend Kevin's stitchery-loving wife Kelli. "And that," sez I to self, "is the end of that."

Wrong.

When I was down at Kevin's on Saturday, Kelli asked me if I really wanted to dispose of something on which so much handwork had already been done. I told her that I'd disposed of my quilting hoop, but then she suggested the possibility of borrowing a frame. "But I don't have anywhere to put it!" I protested. Some alternate ideas were discussed, but in the end, I wound up bringing the half-finished quilt home. I've been doing more needlework lately. Maybe now was that "some day" I'd been awaiting.

The problem of mounting it for stitching remained. Obviously, it couldn't be put on a needlepoint frame, but I thought my holds-any-embroidery-hoop stand might work even if I had to sandbag its base. I went to JoAnn Fabric and bought a 24-inch wooden hoop, half price with coupon for a measly four bucks. This morning, Frame met Hoop and I'm back quilting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment