Sunday, June 16, 2013

Canterbury Bells



Day 257: These winsome, delicate flowers could be the delight of anyone's early-season garden. The large bell-shaped blossoms rise on thready stems to a height of two feet or more, often bearing several blooms on each stalk. Also known as Bellflower, some varieties of this Campanula have a second set of more loosely open petals beneath the central cup, giving rise to another common name of Cup-and-Saucer.

As much as I would like to claim I photographed them in my own yard, I have been unsuccessful in cultivating them. However, they grow like weeds in my fishing buddy's wife's flower beds. In white and shades of blue ranging from pale to purplish, they fill the spaces beneath carefully pruned shrubs and trees, and add delightful accents against foliage plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment