Sunday, June 23, 2013

Door Prize Print



Day 264: My luck with winning door prizes or any other type of drawing is notoriously bad, so when tickets were handed out at the Nisqually Land Trust's Volunteer Appreciation picnic yesterday, I had little expectation of walking away with anything. Indeed, about half the numbers had been called by the time mine was drawn out of the hat, but the prizes provided by the Trust were exceptional. Many had been donated by members of the Nisqually Tribe with whom the Trust is partnered, and there were a number of beautiful prints of Coastal art. As a student of this style of painting, I was utterly delighted to see that a selection was still available when I went up to the table to make my choice. I picked "Bella Coola Sun" by Jim Johnny. After all, Raven stole fire from the Sun to bring light and warmth to the People.

From the back of the print, "Jim Johnny is a well-knkown Kwaguilth artist. Jim is 36 years of age and living with his family in Victoria, British Columbia. His early training was by the internationally known Tony Hunt. He is known for his precise detail and indepth (sic) knowledge of the traditional styles. BELLA COOLA SUN -- The Sun design shows warmth reaching from the life giving sun to the people on earth."

I am delighted to hang this print on my wall to accompany "Spawning Salmon" by Joe Wilson.

No comments:

Post a Comment