Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Not So Lost



Day 260: As a youngster, I had what I thought was quite a substantial collection of marbles. I think the tally was one side or the other of 350 by a small margin, certainly more than any of my schoolmates had, but then, I didn't wager them in the ring at recess, and only occasionally traded two-for-one if I could get a rarity like a white cat's-eye in exchange. Shooting marbles was unthinkable. Marbles got dinged or broken in games, and I wanted my shiny things to be pretty. Instead, I entertained myself with arranging the collection in various manners: sorting by color or by type, ranking them smallest to largest, creating patterns and so on. Another favorite occupation drove my mother to distraction: setting a line of marbles in the groove of the lid of a metal fruitcake tin, swirling them around and around and around, captivated by the coruscations of color and the hypnotic sound. New acquisitions were made largely with bits of pure luck and the occasional patrol of the playground after the other children had gone home. Only once or twice did I reject a find by virtue of it being wounded beyond all hope.

As I grew up, I lost my marbles. I don't know where they went after I left home, and my mother had no recollection of disposing of them. Perhaps they went forgotten in an outbuilding when she moved, or perhaps they were boxed up and taken away with so many other things she had to sacrifice when moving to a smaller space. In any event, as an adult, I found myself without any marbles at all, and that's a sad state of affairs for anyone to bear.

I don't remember how or when I came by the first ones, but my collection now numbers 3788, thanks to the addition of these eleven vintage cat's eyes which were sent to me by my sister-of-the-heart, Patty. I wonder if I'll live long enough to see the number reach 5000. Ya think I should write a letter to Santa? "Dear Mr. Claus, I would like everybody to get along, and oh, could you also bring me a bag of marbles? Thank you!"

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you have regained your marbles dear lady. I am sure the number will reach well beyond 5000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest daughter loved marbles. She spent hours sorting them and even naming them. They were sorted into families. She even had an adoption agency for the marbles that needed to find families.Marble runs were also a fav. To this day, almost 30 years later, I still find an occasional marble stuck in a crack or corner (doesn't speak well of my housekeeping), Her marbles are now stored in a clear glass lamp waiting for her children to be old enough to play with them. This post brings back may marble memories. Thanks for putting a smile on my face for the start of a new day.

    ReplyDelete