Friday, July 12, 2013

Da Little Noses



Day 283: Two days ago, the first of da little noses peeked out of the Tree Swallows' nesting box on the side of the garage, giving me my first glimpse of this year's crop of "gilligans," as I nicknamed the babies years ago. I have no idea how many nestlings are in the House of Chirp because I can't tell them apart at this stage, but Colin Harrison's "A Field Guide to the Nests, Eggs and Nestlings of North American Birds" says that Tachycineta bicolor's clutch may consist of four to six eggs. In the number of young born and raised in this house over the last ten or more years, I have never found evidence to indicate anything other than a survival rate of 100%. Nesting boxes in other locations on the garage have not been as successful.

This side of the garage faces roughly north and catches a little morning sun. It is protected from hot afternoon sun by a wall of tall evergreens. It is visible to me from the window over the kitchen sink, and at this time of year, I need no urging to wash dishes. Even with the window closed, I can hear the youngsters putting up a fuss when the parents are returning with tasty insects, and as soon as they get close, whoever is in the doorway opens wide. Sometimes, the bug is stuffed so far down the nestling's gullet that it looks like the parent's head will get wedged in the gape, but particularly large morsels are delivered into waiting beaks. I am always amazed at how much food these tiny little birds require.

No comments:

Post a Comment