Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Menzies' Larkspur, Delphinium Menziesii



Day 273: No matter how many wildflower pictures I may bring home from a hike or bike ride, Larkspur is almost guaranteed to trump anything else. The intense blue stops you in your tracks.

I bicycled thirty-five miles on the Yelm-Tenino and Chehalis-Western Trails today as part of a patrol for invasive plants, and fortunately, Larkspur isn't on the list. That said, I found a massive infestation of English Ivy and two small patches of Yellow Archangel which will be duly reported.

It was a lovely day for a ride. After rescheduling work because I expected today to be in the 90s again, the forecast changed overnight. I awoke to sunny skies and the promise of somewhat cooler temperatures, so I threw the bike in the car and headed for Flatland. As is so often the case, I drove down into overcast by the time I reached Eatonville. The clouds persisted until after noon and a fresh breeze kept the sweat from rising. On the way home, I rewarded myself with an iced mocha from my favorite espresso wagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment