Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Putting Into Port



Day 315: Weather has kept me from kayaking over the last few days, and I've been anxious to get out on the water. Today's adventure was close to home: Mineral Lake. With the unexpected assistance of our Park geologist Paul Kennard, I put in at the public boat launch (barely visible in the far distance) and power-paddled my way to the north end of the lake, fighting wind all the way. Oddly, I found myself battling the wind on the return as well, and bucking choppy waves in the bargain. Having made one circuit, I was considering calling it a day, but as I got near the boat ramp, I swung the 'yak around and went wide to keep from interfering with someone taking in a power boat. At that point, I said to myself, "What the heck, I might as well do another lap."

The chop had subsided a bit, but as soon as I came to the gap in the foothills where down-valley winds sweep off the shoulders of Mount Rainier, I was again pulling hard. Good exercise, this! Then from behind me, a series of unusual, broad swells lifted the boat and propelled it forward. I do not know what generated them, but my thought was that there might have been a small earthquake. They were fun to ride.

One thing about being out and about in a boat, sometimes you need to put into port for one reason or another. The north end of Mineral Lake is undeveloped, and for the most part, there is no easy bank access. I managed to find a pleasant harbour by weaving my way through deadheads, one of the significant advantages a 'yak has over other craft. Apparently I was not the only one to have discovered this haven because set in the woods fifty feet or so was a large fire-ring of stones, well-used, and the tree canopy above them very close and low. It's the second "secret camping spot" I've discovered while paddling (the other was on the back side of Bogucki Island). Rounding the end of the lake a second time, I checked on a boatful of fishermen I'd spoken with earlier. They still hadn't had any luck, and reported to me that their largest catch of the day was a whopping four inches long.

Still fighting wind and chop, I found myself losing the "paddler's box," the energy-efficient posture a good kayaker strives to maintain. Three hours and three miles were enough for this day, given the challenge of rougher water. I am loving my new sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment