Thursday, September 12, 2013

Browser



Day 345: There are times when I really wish I could make the commitment to keep a couple of goats or sheep on my little patch of turf, but with large predators in the area (some of them domestic), it's just not feasible. Sheep would be my preference because they are grazers, though even a browsing goat would find plenty to eat in my euphemistically-termed "lawn," saving me the trouble of running the mower on hot days like today. With respect to sheep, a carefully selected crossbreed such as Romney-Suffolk or Romney-Corriedale will provide both wool and meat for the table. That said, Angora goats supply a long-staple wool which is soft and a delight to spin. Alas, my dreams of owning a woolly lawnmower will have to be shelved for the reality of a stinky gas engine which needs no fence, no feed and no shearing, but it was a nice thought while it lasted.

Sheep and goats are regular features at the Washington State Fair, although they must be brought in on a rotation basis due to potential veterinary issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment