Saturday, October 12, 2013

Just Enough For Dinner


Day 10: A couple of nights ago, I made what was arguably the best meatloaf I've ever prepared. It had just the right amount of sausage mixed with the ground beef, just enough tomato sauce, just enough bay and oregano, and I used old-fashioned slow-cooking oatmeal for the filler instead of bread crumbs, so it turned out light and tender. I've been eating it under ketchup, but tonight, I made it even better by topping it with freshly picked chanterelles done up in a cream sherry sauce, a suggestion which came from a friend who also enjoys these fungal fruits.

I'm a decent cook when I put my mind to it but ordinarily, I consider cooking and eating to be dreadful wastes of time. Tonight, in an unusual departure from form, I savoured my meal. The chanterelles...well, I ate them all. Maybe I should have divided them into two batches because I still have meatloaf in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment