Sunday, November 17, 2013

I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas...Cactus



Day 46: "I'm dreaming of a white Zygo,
Just like the ones I used to grow,
Where the petals glitter and pollen litters
My desktop like a fall of snow..."

The "white" hybrid of Zygocactus carries just a hint of pink in its petals, and the hue can vary on an individual plant depending on growing conditions. The more light received during the summer months, the deeper the blush. The same is true for the yellow variety which I hope to feature in a few days' time.

If you've been wondering why I have never posted a full view of any of my Zygos, the answer is simple. I keep them pruned back to fit four-inch pots, and seldom have more than a dozen flowers on any plant at one time. When space is limited and you want to maintain a wide selection of colors, keeping them to a manageable size is mandatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment