Thursday, December 26, 2013

Temari


Day 85: The first time it happened, I was humiliated to tears. I was attending a Tupperware party at a neighbor's, joining in conversation several women previously unknown to me. The subject matter of our chatting was varied, as you might expect and reclusive as I normally am, I felt I was doing the socially proper thing by adding my two cents' worth where it might be of value. One of the ladies happened to mention that she was laying new linoleum in her bathroom but was having difficulty fitting it around the base of the toilet. Having done some home repair in that line, I suggested that she purchase a template-making tool, a comb-like device which can be pushed against an object, the teeth retracting in such a manner that an outline of the item is obtained. I expected her to ask me if I knew where she could get one. She did not. Her mouth hardened and she said sharply, "Isn't there anything you don't know something about?" I could have died of shame in that moment. Instead, I retreated to a corner and said nothing more for the duration of the party.

Several years ago, when one of my sisters-of-the-heart came to visit me for the first time, I was showing her various craft items I'd created, including some greeting cards embellished with ribbon. The template episode resurfaced when she said, "I suppose you made the paper, too." However, by this point in my life, I had become so accustomed to remarks of that sort that I responded, "Um, yeah...as a matter of fact, I did."

A day or so ago, the subject of Temari came up when another friend posted a picture. Without thinking about it, I said, "Oh, temari! Somewhere around here, I have a bunch I made years ago."

My friend's response was predictable: "Of course you have done this." My foot had found my mouth again.

I have to tell you that I still cringe when "Isn't there anything you don't know something about?" comes back to haunt me in some form or another. The alternative course of action is to learn to keep my big mouth shut (something I've tried to do with very little success). I've lived a long life, and I've done a lot of interesting things despite the fact that I'd tell you I've found it rather boring. My passion for crafts was instilled in me by a grandmother who taught me that my hands should never be idle, and as my friends would tell you, my craving for new adventures still runs strongly indeed. I love to learn and I love to create, and perhaps to my undoing, I love to teach. Therein lies the problem. I can't make myself bite off the words which might open an avenue to instruct. I'm not an insufferable know-it-all looking to be the center of attention. I simply want to inspire others to explore and learn.

Temari originated in China but is best known as a Japanese art form. The balls are created by wrapping layer upon layer upon layer of thread or fabric strips in precise patterns. These temari were made using sewing thread and perle cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment