Friday, January 17, 2014

Handsome Heron



Day 107: For the last couple of weeks, I have been wanting to make a trip down to the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, but weather always seemed to present an obstacle. Although the temperature was below freezing this morning, I left home under clear skies, but descended into fog. Knowing that the last 700 feet of the boardwalk would be closed until the end of the month, I almost decided to turn around and put Plan B into action, but a hike in Pack Forest in the fog didn't have much appeal. The fog thinned as I approached the delta, and I was happy to see...to be able to see!...the gazebo at the end of the walkway.

Coming along the trail by the Twin Barns, I spotted Mallards and Buffleheads, a Merganser and a gaggle of Canada Geese, although small birds were not much in evidence. Then my eye was caught by a Peregrine Falcon flying along just above the marsh grass searching for breakfast. I was so intent on the Falcon that I almost walked past the Blue Heron on the opposite side of the path, no more than ten feet from me. When I first noticed the bird, it had its head cocked to the side and one beady eye fixed on something in a clump of grass. My presence on the trail was no deterrent to the Heron's concentration, but I never saw it pick up its prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment