Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Never Easy


Day 105: It's never easy, the combination of Crow and tech. After spending half an hour figuring out how to transfer songs to my new iPod, I couldn't get them to play. The on-line manual was unreadable, printed so small that it couldn't be seen, and if you zoomed in, the letters fragmented. The cute little leaflet in the box was exceptionally uninformative: "this is your home key...here's where the headphones go...plug the lightning connector in here." Thank you, I'd rather not plug anything into a connection with lightning! Apple's parts names are as skewed as their color perception. This iPod is "yellow." I poked all the screen icons and failed to find anything adjustable, and it was only by accident that my fingers encountered the tiny ridges on the toggleable volume control.

Okay, that hurdle crossed, let's see if we can organize music into playlists. Another hour of wasted time later, I popped a note off to Kevin and asked him to stop by on his way home from work. He's good with this sort of thing. Yep, there was a button I'd missed. He showed me how to set up playlists and I did so gleefully. Then I synchronized the device. The playlists failed to transfer.

Going out for my second walk of the day, I discovered I'd accidentally loaded fifty or so Christmas songs onto the device. It's a little jarring to hear "Good King Wenceslaus" in between "Click Go the Shears" and "The Man from Snowy River," likewise "O Holy Night" doesn't quite fit with "Haul Away for Rosie." Yeah, there's work to be done here. I just wish somebody would print...PRINT, I say!...a set of clear instructions for us old fogeys who don't find technology intuitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment