Friday, February 7, 2014

Downy Purple People Eater



Day 128: By tomorrow night, I will have logged 400 miles in the Park's winter Fitness Challenge, and I'm not about to let 20° F. and snowy weather slow me down. I'm taking my exercise in two forms: walking and riding a stationary bicycle, and the time I've devoted to each is roughly equal.

In the Fitness Challenge, different forms of exercise have different aerobic values. Riding the exercycle for 16 minutes is the aerobic equivalent of one walking mile despite the fact that the bike's built-in odometer may show a total of 5 miles travelled in that time. My walking pace is approximately 15 minutes per mile...makes sense when you think of it that way. Of course, I prefer walking outdoors to riding indoors, but lately, it's been a bit brisk. These last few days, I've dipped into my old climbing gear for a silk balaclava to protect my face from the cold and two layers of long johns (wool and polypro) which I wear underneath a down-filled shell. If you see the Purple People Eater marching down the road, don't bother offering me a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment