Monday, February 10, 2014

Mottled Tube Lichen, Hypogymnia Inactiva



Day 131: I've made at least three attempts at capturing the beauty of this particular specimen of Hypogymnia inactiva with the little Sony point-and-shoot camera I carry on my belt while walking. I couldn't get the depth of field right, and the camera wouldn't register true color. After another failure today, I decided there was nothing for it but to throw the tripod over my shoulder and the "real" camera (the Canon SX30 IS) around my neck and take a second walk. Yes, I could have found another example closer to home because Mottled Tube Lichen is very common in the mixed forests at this elevation, and in fact I did take photos of another specimen with open apothecia. Although this isn't a "field guide" shot, it has greater eye appeal. Common though it may be, Hypogymnia is one of my favorite lichens.

No comments:

Post a Comment