Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Predators



Day 133: You don't need to look any farther than the incisors on these skull reproductions to realize precisely where you'd fit into the food chain if you were to meet up with a cougar (left). The bobcat (right) is more likely to run away if it sees you first, but cougars are known to be patient stalkers. I think about that while I'm walking the trails at Park Headquarters, my ears filled with iPod music. Cougars have been sighted in the area before, particularly in the spring months.

So what do you do if a cougar decides you look like a nice snack? First of all, do NOT run. All cats like to chase their prey. Stand your ground, make yourself look as big as possible by spreading your jacket out like wings, and do not take your eyes off the animal. If the cat becomes aggressive, you should try to make yourself seem more aggressive by throwing rocks, waving your arms and shouting. If you're attacked, fight back.

Are you likely to be approached by a cougar? No. That said, there are precautions you should take to prevent unwanted encounters. If you're hiking in cougar country, keep the conversation going among members of your group. If you're hiking alone, sing or talk aloud to yourself. Better to look like a weirdo than lunch. If you see a dead animal, do not go near the carcass. It could be a cougar's kill.

In all my years of hiking, I have had only one close encounter with a cougar. I never saw the cat, only evidence that it was very close by. I don't need to tell you that it was not a comforting feeling!

1 comment:

  1. I guess the problem with throwing rock is the bending over to get them--thus making oneself look small for a moment. Dangerous--or so I'm told.

    ReplyDelete