Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Pattison Lake Paddle


Day 209: Although I've pretty much given up geocaching after wrestling with the ethics of the sport, I do occasionally go out after a hide or two, particularly if I can earn five stars for terrain. Paddle caches are an easy way of doing that. In pursuit of two such caches today in beautiful weather, I not only discovered a new lake to kayak, I found both hides, paddled nine miles, and caught (and released) four 12-14" trout. Y'know, you can't argue with a day like that!

Pattison Lake is just a little west of Lake St. Clair of Sundew fame, although in a different drainage. It is divided into two lobes of approximately equal size by a narrow neck of water. An active railroad line spans the center of the "hourglass." I patrolled every bay of both sections, investigated every floating or partially submerged log with hopes of finding another suitable mini-ecology, but found no evidence that Pattison might also support Droseras. I suppose you can't have everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment