Saturday, May 31, 2014

Adams' Island Adventure



Day 241: I let myself get psyched out by a log from another geocacher for a hide on Adams' Island, or I would have been out here in my kayak last fall. He'd mentioned taking an "accidental swim," so I assumed that getting in and out of the boat was tricky. Someone else had mentioned "ledge jumping," and that was enough to put me off the cache. Nevertheless, Mayfield Lake presented a kayaking opportunity even if I couldn't attain the island. In other words, I decided I had to see it for myself.

Now it has to be said that I am not the world's best example when it comes to filing a flight plan with anybody. I've hiked alone all my life, and seldom told anyone where I was going. Chances were good I'd deviate from the agenda anyway...one thing leads to another when you're an adventuresome sort...so telling someone I'd be up the Blah-blah Trail and would return at 4 PM seemed entirely pointless when I'd more likely head off with map and compass to try to find some bathtub-sized tarn and might not get back until almost bedtime. However, with concerns about dumping myself in the Cowlitz River, I took exception to the standard disregard for protocol and told three friends where I was headed. It was a classic GAR model...Global Assessment of Risk...Green-Amber-Red. For me, this one lit up the caution light.

Well, I got all anxious for nothing. There were several spots to bring the 'yak in on tiny Adams' Island, and while I didn't pick the easiest one, at no time was I in danger of tipping myself into the lake. I was more at risk when I went further up-river and got into whirlpool eddies just past the bridge. It was the closest I've come to being seasick in the kayak, and I prudently retreated before it could become an issue despite the fact that I really wanted to see what was around that next bend. Knowing when to call it quits has kept me going this long, even though my friends might tell you I sometimes push the envelope; I think I've struck a workable balance between "old" and "bold."

No comments:

Post a Comment