Saturday, May 17, 2014

Bloomin' Beautiful


Day 227: Because I am so proud of my garden this year, here are a few more photos from around the yard! There will be more to come at a later date. The irises are just budding and the delphiniums are only starting to put up flower spikes. I see nodding heads currently the size of hazelnuts on the poppies, and several other perennials are still in the vegetative (non-blooming) state. This promises to be a colorful summer!

I put the hardy fuchsias ("Genii" and "Dollar Princess") in the ground yesterday, but I am not quite brave enough to commit the tomatoes ("Sweet Million" and "Oregon Spring") to Mother Nature's whims. Although the forecast would seem to indicate a trend toward mild temperatures, we've had killing frosts here as late as mid-June. Consequently, the tomatoes will remain in their pots until the first of June. I'll have to risk them then or take a chance on going fruitless due to our short growing season. Tomatoes are a hit-and-miss proposition any year (and the only edible I try to grow, with the exception of some herbs).

The yard suffered one fatality, however. The Whatzit Tree was ailing, so I had my neighbor take it down. I still have to dig out the roots (a project which may wait until next year). The front yard wants a fast-growing shade tree, and I am entertaining three options to replace it: black walnut, horse chestnut or a big-leaf maple. Decisions, decisions! But that's what makes gardening fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment