Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Fitness Challenge "Iron Ranger"



Day 216: I have to say I'm proud of this achievement. Yesterday, I received an unexpected prize as the "Iron Ranger" of the 2014 Fitness Challenge in addition to a certificate of completion. Each member of our team was given a handy little backpacking spoon/fork (all eleven members completed at least 100 miles), but as the top finisher among all participants, I also was rewarded with a pair of Merino "Smart Wool" socks in a two-color Norwegian design and a gift certificate to one of my favourite stores, REI.

The Challenge was based on the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail, a 1200-mile traverse from the Continental Divide in Montana to Cape Alava on the Olympic Peninsula. It crosses five mountain ranges, three National Parks and seven National Forests. Teams participating in the Challenge were charged with accruing aerobic-equivalent miles to represent a hike of the complete trail between January 7 and March 30, 2014. After completing a few days of more than 15 miles, I was asked by one of my colleagues, "What, are you planning to do the whole trail by yourself, Crow?" At that point, I sat down with a calculator and saw that it was indeed possible. That was the goal I set for myself about two weeks into the Challenge. Between riding an exercise bike and walking/hiking, I finished the virtual "trail" with enough days remaining to add an additional 300 miles to my total, averaging 18 miles per day. I am happy to say that our team also took top honors.

"Iron Ranger." I like the sound of that. Not bad at all for a little old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment