Sunday, May 25, 2014

Life, The Universe And Everything


Day 235: Happy International Towel Day to all you hoopy froods out there!

Probability...the odds were two to the power of 276,000 to one against that Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect would be picked up by Zaphod Beeblebrox in the Heart of Gold...somewhat greater than those the corner bookie would give you on a tree knocking over a utility pole, incidentally taking out my power, land line and internet concurrently with a failure of cell phone service in my area, but I think not too enormously greater. Factor in a traffic accident occurring at the same time, half a mile from the house going the opposite direction, and Arthur and Ford's odds start to look pretty good. Make it Memorial Day weekend (one of the busiest holidays) and put the emergency response vehicles on the wrong side of the fallen tree, and...well, Arthur and Ford were in the right place at the right time, and anybody on this one-mile stretch of road was not.

But as anyone who frequents the Restaurant at the End of the Universe knows, there will be more opportunities to screw it up again. Order was restored by 7 AM this morning and we're ready for the second round. Did somebody say "second round?" Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, please...no, better make that a double. Don't Panic.

2 comments:

  1. Today, after reading your this post, I feel stupid. I don't understand anything you've written. When did I leave this world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! International Towel Day commemorates Douglas Adams and his "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" books which have a cult following rivalling that of Star Trek or Star Wars. If you will refer to my post of 5/25/2013, you will meet Arthur Dent in a quote from the author himself. I celebrate International Towel Day because I am a fan of the books. If you haven't read them, you really should!

    ReplyDelete