Wednesday, June 4, 2014

That Old Black Magic


Day 245: Mysterious as a midnight rendezvous, "Superstition" is one of the most intense blacks available in an iris, and its color holds well through the blooming period. However, the color is somewhat sensitive to soil conditions, although I haven't determined what influences a possible fade to red. I will say that I was almost tempted to leave these where they were when after two years, they bleached to an unusually rich mahogany, but shifting them to a different part of the garden brought them back to a full black which has been consistent over the last decade.

I love black flowers. The squirrels made off with my "Queen of Night" tulips, though. Like "Superstition," they also hold their strong color throughout their life cycle when other purportedly "black" tulips fade to purple as the blossoms age.

No comments:

Post a Comment