Monday, July 7, 2014

Happy As A Crow In Sundews



Day 280: I was happy to discover today that my memory was not failing me. Last year, there really was another log which had a healthy colony of Sundews growing on it. I re-found it today.

It seems that over the winter, one of the homeowners on the lake decided he wanted to isolate a section of water beside his dock where he could grow those dratted invasive water lilies which are choking so many of our waterways (they're still sold for "water gardens," but ignorant people also plant them in lakes). Apparently said homeowner went scrounging up Lake St. Clair's northwest arm (Sundew Arm) and shanghaied a pair of 60' logs to use as his barricade. One of them happened to be the Sundew log I thought I'd seen earlier and subsequently lost. I never forget the details of trees, rocks or other features of terrain despite the fact that I'll forget a human face in thirty seconds or less, and I recognized certain projecting branches and knots on it when I saw it today. The other log is a mystery. I don't know where he found it, but it is also lavishly covered in Sundews for most of its length.

As you can see from this photo, they are very happy in their new home and are blooming like mad! To think that I almost didn't take a turn in this arm today, tired as I was after paddling from early morning to late afternoon. It only takes a colony of Sundews to keep me content!

No comments:

Post a Comment