Friday, August 8, 2014

Dipping The Ocean Dry...


Day 312: Several circumstances led to this unscheduled solo work party, the first being that I had an appointment in Eatonville this morning. On my way down, I said to myself, "Maybe I should swing by Ohop to see if the Mad Tire Bomber has left me any more presents."

A little further down the road, I began thinking about a Park project, entirely unrelated and two weeks off, involving removal of small alders from the roadside. I would be working with a crew of ten or more, and the call had already gone out for extra tools such as lopping shears. I had a pair I intended to bring, and was thinking along the lines of trying to round up a couple of weed wrenches when a second idea hit me. "If I stopped at the hardware store and bought another pair of loppers, I could cut some blackberries when I get down to Ohop."

You see the Plan emerging, don't you? By purchasing a second pair of loppers, I'd have two to loan to the Park project, plus I could put in some extra time for the Land Trust after my appointment.

A pair of heavy-duty loppers with telescoping handles struck my fancy. The price was right. I laid my money down and after my appointment, spent two hours giving them an introduction to what it means to work under my command. The two of us (Crow and loppers) cleared a patch about 10' x 15', allowing one tree a little breathing room even though in the overview, it looks like an attempt to dip the ocean dry with a teaspoon.

The upshot of this day's work was unexpected. In turning in my report on the labor performed, I happened to mention the upcoming Park project. The Land Trust volunteered their stock of weed wrenches for our use!

No comments:

Post a Comment