Thursday, August 28, 2014

Made A Sweet Million


Day 332: Rich are those whose gardens produce, and let me tell you, I have made a boodle this year! My Sweet Million cherry tomatoes are producing as many as I can reasonably consume. What made the difference after a long run of failures? I bought bigger plants instead of trying to economize. I brought them home with blossoms already forming, just the head-start they needed in my short-season garden.

With Oregon Spring, it's been a different story. It's a full-size tomato, and while it came on strongly at first, it's fallen back now, and has only a few green fruits which I doubt will mature before first frost. It did well for me last year, though. That said, my main use for tomatoes is as snack food, not as a condiment to go with burgers. I would far rather pick a handful of Sweet Millions to nibble on my way out to the mailbox than harvest an equal weight of a beefsteak variety to slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment