Sunday, August 31, 2014

Strategizing September Morn


Day 335: Tomorrow is the second biggest holiday of my personal calendar. No, I'm not referring to Labor Day, although this year, it coincidentally falls on the same date. I am talking about September Morn. For me, the first of September marks the beginning of the Earth's in-gathering, a time when she pulls her energies together to prepare for the long winter ahead, a time when she guards her children most carefully and tenderly that they might survive.

Those who know me well know that on September Morn (or thereabouts), it is my custom to plunge myself in a cold mountain tarn in a ritual of spiritual renewal, my "annual bath," as it were. It is also an occasion when I like to do something special like go on an adventure or buy myself a present. Often, the day is spent hiking (preferably in solitude). This year, I've already had my bath...two of them, as a matter of fact...and with a busy September schedule staring me in the face, I'm going to have to grab my moment when I can.

Labor Day or not, I have a hike planned for tomorrow. It's a geology project of sorts, tracking down a particular rock formation to examine the amygdules it bears. It's some distance to drive to the trailhead, so I'll be leaving well before the sun starts to cast its blush in the eastern sky. Hopefully, by arriving before sane folk are out of bed, I'll be assured of a parking space. It's tough when September Morn shares the calendar with Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment