Sunday, September 28, 2014

Possible ID

I have received a suggestion from a reader that this may be a Cat-Face Spider (Araneus gemmoides), an Orb Weaver common in the Pacific Northwest. It appears that the next time I run into one of these (and I hope those words are not prophetic), I will need to make a more thorough evaluation since I cannot confirm the ID via the photograph. That's going to mean getting up close and personal. To "Anonymous" who made the suggestion, are you posing me a challenge to overcome my arachnophobia in the name of science? I would be a poor naturalist if I let it stand in my way. Challenge accepted!

Footnote only a few minutes later: I am reprieved. It is a Common Garden Spider, Argiope aurantia. My sincere thanks goes out to the friend from King County Parks who made the ID.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll keep looking. I doubt it's a common garden spider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not 100% convinced, but I am certain that it is not a Cat Face after reviewing several resources. The morphology of Cat Face is quite different. Bear in mind that my photo shows the ventral view (underside). The dorsal side is strongly marked with two colors and does not exhibit the two raised bumps on the abdomen.

    ReplyDelete