Sunday, September 7, 2014

Red Flax



Day 342: Who wouldn't welcome this sweet little plant's cheery red face in their garden? Red Flax (aka Scarlet Flax) is a late-season annual and may be strewn about with abandon since it seldom reseeds. If, as I do, you like the unkempt look of a scatter-garden, don't forget to add it to your broadcasting mix next spring.

Yep, I am already thinking about what I will or won't plant next year. I'm thinking of adding more perennials for the Hummingbirds...perhaps a couple more hardy fuchsias, since they were a great success and spread quickly. That said, I like grubbing in the soil too much to abandon annuals entirely, and I love the wanton, unstructured palette created by randomly-colored poppies popping up among assorted Livingston daisies and white Nigella. I don't plan for a tiered effect, save for a backdrop of Delphiniums and sprays of red Crocosmia rising above interwoven foliage, no. I simply let my garden take the reins and go where it will. Mother Nature is a better artist than I could ever aspire to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment