Monday, October 27, 2014

An Historic Sighting



Day 14: I have been transcribing historic migration records for the Bird Phenology Program for a number of years now, always fascinated when I stumble upon one from Mount Rainier National Park and the surrounding area. Some have been disturbing, such as the "collection" of specimens in Grand Park or in Indian Henrys. Although undoubtedly done under permit in the name of science, the contrast to modern Park policy is shocking. However, most reports are innocent: Clark's Nutcracker observed at Paradise, Mountain Bluebirds flocking at Sunrise. That said, I had quite a surprise when this card came up in the rotation.

Ranger J. B. Flett was primarily a botanist in the early days of the Park, and produced one of the early field guides to the flora of the area. He wound up getting a glacier named after him for his labours (albeit a very small one) and thus earned a footnote in the annals of Park history. Coincidentally, he seems to have had at least a mild interest in ornithology, as this screen-capture of a bird card attests. I was thrilled to find it because it documents his presence in the Park on a particular day and in a particular location. As such, I have forwarded the document to our Chief of Interpretation who, I trust, will route it to the proper office for inclusion in the Park's historical records.

But that was not the only amazing thing about this card. Flett's sighting of a Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon) occurred at Lake James where, almost fifty years later, my uncle Gus took up his station as a ranger. After the death of my father, Gus wheedled special permission from the Park's superintendent for his young niece to accompany him for one ten-day tour of duty at the Lake James cabin. That trip charted the course of my life from then on.

I feel like the discovery of Flett's observation has brought me 'round in a circle, as if I was destined to find this card among the six million in the transcription database. What are the odds it would have come my way?

1 comment:

  1. We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

    T. S. Eliot

    ReplyDelete