Monday, October 20, 2014

Bear Went Over The Mountain



Day 7: As often as I have tried to photograph this carving of Bear, the Healer, I have never felt the results did him justice until now. He came to me from one of my heart's sisters, carved by her from hop hornbeam (a singularly hard wood) at a time when my spirit was in dire need of his energies. He worked his magic well, and therefore photographing him became a challenge. I wanted a representation which carried a sense of warmth and well-being, and of ancient power, and my captures were notoriously flat and uninspired. Today it occurred to me to place Bear in a tableau of craggy mountains where he could have a broad view of the world and those who struggle down below. Warmed in the light of sunrise, he rouses from his sleep and goes a-prowling, alert for those who need his healing energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment