Wednesday, October 8, 2014

View From Plummer Peak



Makeup Day 8: When I left home this morning, I promised my friends that I would not climb Pinnacle Peak, and I'm good for my word. I did not climb Pinnacle Peak, although I've done so at least half a dozen times. I climbed Plummer instead. It's not quite as high, nor is it as steep, although you don't want to trip while you're walking the hogback.

So, to put things in reference here, that's Pinnacle in the middle. The route to the top goes up just below the ridgeline facing the camera until it gets beyond the trees. Then it turns left and gets serious. When you reach the top of the light grey section, you'll find yourself at a dihedral, and the holds are just a little too widely spaced for someone as small as I am, particularly on the descent. My husband never went up with me. He sat at the bottom and agreed with people that yes, I was crazy. I never climbed Castle, the next peak to the right, nor have I climbed Unicorn which is beyond it. Today was my first ascent of Plummer, and a nice way to shake out the kinks from my last hike. That was something else Bruce never understood: the need to take another hike to loosen up stiff muscles.

As adventures go, this was pretty tame. I only got stuck between a rock and a tree once, and I came down with my all skin intact. I gave Lane and Chutla a brief moment of consideration, but today...well, today was just for Plummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment