Thursday, October 23, 2014

Optical Onion


Day 10: A few of my readers will remember my Odd Onion project: take 100 photographs featuring an onion in creative ways. Most notorious among the photos so far was "Whistler's Onion," for which I tore my bedroom apart and recreated the setting of the famous "Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1" with myself as Mother, holding the Onion on my lap. While not a recreation in that sense, this image was strongly inspired by the works of Piet Mondrian, whose minimalist approach is very pleasing to my eye. Viewers will also notice that there is an optical illusion at play here. The lines are purely white, but as the eye moves across the canvas, it will appear that there are dark dots at the intersections, hence the name of the piece, "Optical Onion."

No comments:

Post a Comment