Monday, November 17, 2014

Eatonville's New Trail


Day 35: From working with the Nisqually Land Trust, I knew that plans were in the works for Eatonville to extend its trail system up into Boxcar Canyon and eventually further on to meet up with the trails in Pack Forest, but I was not expecting a new section to crop up almost overnight. As I drove into town a few days ago, I noticed a sign reading, "Bud Blancher Trail," and a parking area at the head of a sloping, gravelled path about eight feet wide. Rather late in the day today, I stopped and followed it until it crossed the Mashel, bringing me out at my favourite lichen stump in Smallwood Park. It continued on along the old road which I've walked many times, so in the interest of keeping my nose out of Jack Frost's reach, I turned around and went back to the car. Only then did I notice the map which showed this newly completed section following the boundary of Pack Forest on the north for another half-mile or so beyond Smallwood. I'll have to go back in warmer weather to explore that section!

No comments:

Post a Comment