Monday, December 29, 2014

Elegance



Day 77: Oh, my...! An unexpected gift showed up in my mailbox today, one with particular personal significance. These pens were hand-turned by a dear friend from the trunk wood of an unidentified tree which had stood for more than 20 years in my front yard. When the tree was attacked first by disease, then by insects and subsequently by a determined Red-breasted Sapsucker who was trying to be helpful, I was forced to take it down. Di put in a request for a piece of the wood for her lathe, so after a period of curing and drying, I mailed it off and forgot all about it. She tells me the dark band in the center of the Celtic knotwork pen is a pine cone from her own yard. What elegance! Makes me feel like I should be writing four-figure checks!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know a pine cone could be turned and finished. Beautiful. A true thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete