Sunday, December 14, 2014

Kevin In Character


Day 62: Of all the roles Kevin has played, none suit him so well as those when he wears the costumes of the mid- to late 19th century. As P. B. Van Trump (one of Mount Rainier's pioneer spirits), he seems to have just stepped down from a horse-drawn stage, ready to take his walking staff in hand to go on an adventure at Indian Henrys. Night before last, I saw him in another period guise as the Narrator of his church's Christmas pageant. Although I captured this portrait in color, I wanted my readership to see him more appropriately represented for the era and therefore converted the image to the old albumen process of my grandfather's time. He caught me framing the shot and held his pose, just as photographers would have demanded of their subjects in a studios circa 1900.

5 comments:

  1. Are you familiar with Edward Curtis's work? He started his photography career in Seattle but advanced it on Mt. Rainier, where he rescued some important people one stormy day, thus launching him to nationwide recognition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look him up to be sure I was connecting the right person with the correct photos, but yes, I am familiar with his work.

      Delete
  2. I should have mentioned the connection--the picture you posted is so much like his work. There's a wonderful book on his life (and consequently the story of the evolution of the many photographic processes): Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher: The Epic Life and Immortal Photographs of Edward Curtis. You may enjoy the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will have to see if our library system has it. I also should have mentioned that my grandfather was a professional photographer. I think a lot of my work reflects conscious or subconscious attempts to emulate the appearance of his images.

      Delete