Monday, January 12, 2015

Eagle Day


Day 91: With something close to spring-like weather today, I opted to take a nine-mile walk on the Foothills Trail in lieu of a shorter local walk and second session on the exercise bike. Thick fog lay over Orting at the start of my hike, but dissipated over the first hour to reveal beautiful blue skies. As I approached the landmark I call the Warbler Bridge, I noticed two Bald Eagles perched in a tall cottonwood. Eagles are a fairly common sight along most western Washington rivers, but over my last several walks along the Carbon, they have seemed substantially more abundant than usual. Common or not, they are still a spectacular sight, and this fellow appeared to be taking advantage of the sun to warm his wings. The second bird was perched just below and to the left of him. I snapped several photos before continuing on to my turn-around point at the South Prairie Wetland interpretive area, but the eagles didn't budge an inch in the time I was gone. I was glad they were still there. I got better photos on the second shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment