Thursday, January 29, 2015

Nature's Lace


Day 108: A few walks ago, I noticed a connector trail to Mashel Falls forking off just past the western bridge of Eatonville's new Bud Blancher Trail. I'd started up it, but soon discovered that it was too muddy for sport shoes, so retreated and put it on my "later" list. Today I returned, this time wearing hiking boots, and it was a good thing I did. The mud was slick and ankle-deep in places. After having passed through several particularly slippery sections, I started thinking about what it would be like on the return trip, and consequently changed my plans, opting to make a longer loop hike rather than risk falling in the slop.

Halfway up, another spur branched off at an intersection I recognized as the trail to the falls. Having been there before, I knew that it is always a muddy mess even under optimal summer conditions. Considering what I'd come through already, good sense dictated foregoing a trip to the falls. In any event, I'd been there, done that, and wasn't particularly impressed. There had also been a bit of a fib in the weather forecast, and what should have been sunny and fiftyish was foggy and hovering near forty. My proposed four-mile hike had doubled in distance, and I was wishing I'd worn one more layer. I returned via the 1000 Road, connecting with the Bud Blancher Trail at the far west end. As luck would have it, I was almost back to the car when the persistent fog lifted, allowing me only about half a mile under sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment