Thursday, January 1, 2015

Trying New Foods


Day 80: "Life is too short not to try new foods." That's a motto you'll often hear me repeat, and it's one I try to live by. In fact, it's what got me started eating lutefisk about fifteen years ago, and all expectations to the contrary, I enjoyed it. My fishing buddy is Norwegian, and I'd trust him with my life. When he challenged me with lutefisk, I knew he wouldn't take me somewhere I didn't want to go.

Every year since that first encounter, I have joined the family for one or more traditional Norwegian dinners of lutefisk, lefse, cream gravy and mashed potatoes per year. If we do not get together earlier in the year for this event, it always occurs on New Year's Day. I look forward to it with great relish, and always stuff myself until my buttons nearly pop. My friends cringe: "Lutefisk? Ewwwwwwww!" but if you can get past the appearance (translucent) and the texture (somewhat gelatinous), the taste of buttery rich cod will flood your taste buds.

Come on, people! Be daring and break away from the boredom of meat and potatoes and green beans. Try something different! Next up: haggis for Robert Burns' birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment