Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Prunes And Prisms



Day 113: I was only about four years old when my grandmother (a teacher in the early 1900s) explained to me that smiling was an affectation of the vulgar. "A proper young woman should never allow her teeth to be seen," she told me. "You must practice holding your mouth in a prim manner by repeating the words 'prunes' and 'prisms' several times throughout the day." Although I ignored this rather Victorian piece of advice for the most part, I did take to heart her counsel about not frowning or squinting. Today, I have but a few lines on my ancient forehead. In fact, my age shows primarily around my mouth, perhaps because I neglected those pert, proper prunes and prisms prescribed in Grandma's school of etiquette.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad we're past that age (Downton Abbey reminds me how far we've come). Your picture is stern but I sense any moment you're going to break into a smile (more in keeping with this age). You're beautiful either way and you have a gorgeous head of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear...it's true-confessions time. That "gorgeous head of hair" is a wig. My own hair is grey and about an inch and a half long. :LOL: !

    ReplyDelete