Sunday, February 1, 2015

SuperBowl Sunday


Day 111: I've never been much for watching sports. My idea of an athletic event involves active participation: running, distance hiking, snowshoeing. However, when I met my fishing buddy, I made a point of trying to learn enough about football that I could at least make intelligent conversation while sitting with him in front of a television set. It was a way to expand our friendship, even though I wasn't particularly interested in the game. Our local team was good enough to make the SuperBowl in 2006, but due to what is now generally regarded as a bad call, they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers 21-10. On that day, I passed out of the ranks of "people who watch football" into the classification of "football fans," if only because I wanted to see the Seahawks avenged. Last February, I got my wish. I sat with Sande (now in his 90s) and watched the Hawks go to victory, flattening the Denver Broncos 43-8. I don't know if I was more pleased with the win, or with the fact that he got to see it happen.

This year, I've had several other invitations to watch the game with friends, but I declined them all to spend the day with him. Another year, I'll be happy just to watch good football played, no matter who wins, but today...today, it has to be the Hawks, for Sande's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment