Friday, March 27, 2015

Lunch, By George


Day 165: Today's hike was the one I intended to take a week ago, a plan which was derailed by an unexpectedly closed gate on the Westside Road. The road's opening a few days later was accompanied by inclement weather, again deterring me from reaching my proposed destination. However, today offered a fresh opportunity, so off I went from Dry Creek, aimed at Lake George. At Fish Creek half a mile beyond, I realized I'd left the camera in the car.

Since I'm still working on mileage for the Park's winter fitness challenge, backtracking meant an extra mile for the day's total. Two hours from the time I left the car for the second time, I arrived at Lake George to find scattered snow patches on the ground and the lake still for the most part slushily iced over. A nippy breeze drifted off the shoulder of Mount Wow, inspiring me to head back after a brief lunch of cookies and dried mangoes. When I hike, I am very goal-oriented. It doesn't matter if I stay an hour at my destination or simply tag a signpost or favourite tree before turning around. After all, most hikes go both directions, and in reality, your ultimate goal is your starting point. Often when someone asks me how far I plan to go, I reply in the only reasonable manner, "Halfway."

No comments:

Post a Comment