Thursday, March 12, 2015

Stalking The Wild Pilophorus


Day 150: Rather than taking a longer walk, I spent a large portion of my lunch break scrutinizing every square inch of exposed rock alongside the road between the Longmire housing area and the Community Building today and discovered to my great delight many more well-established colonies of Pilophorus acicularis. This uncommon species has taken over as my new favourite lichen. Oddly, I found none at all on the north side of the bridge; apparently the substrate there is already sufficiently developed for second-growth species like Cladonia and Stereocaulon to take hold.

I'm certain that if anyone had driven by, they might have wondered what I was so intent on photographing. I think I need a bumper sticker for my car: "Easily distracted by lichens."

No comments:

Post a Comment