Friday, April 3, 2015

An Acquired Taste


Day 172: Ask your friends and colleagues about cilantro, and you'll find that they either love it or hate it, and those who hate it will usually make horrible faces as they describe its somewhat soapy taste. However, you can accustom yourself to the flavour with a little effort, and may find yourself joining the ranks of those who can't imagine their favourite Mexican dishes without it. My palate for this herb has increased to the point that I prefer using it to replace lettuce in tacos and taco salads. I grow my own in season, but always seem to pick it faster than it grows, necessitating trips to the market for more. I store it as you see here: in the fridge with its stems in water, the tops loosely covered with a plastic bag. Cilantro! It's not just a garnish in my kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. Hear! Hear! Wonderful herb. I've got to have it in all salads. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete