Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Making More Work


Day 183: I had to go to town today and wanted to pick up some more bark mulch for the garden, but wound up with a little extra time on my hands before an appointment. What happened next was as certain as death and taxes: I came out of the garden store with a full cart. My acquisitions included two more Blue Star Junipers, two "Furzey" Heathers, a Vinca minor, and two sedums and a stonecrop (a taller plant) which will be the centerpiece of the strawberry jar, presently under conversion to a succulent garden. This phenomenon is known as "making more work for myself," something I do all too frequently when planting season rolls around. With snow sprinkled on the hills above the house like powdered sugar on gingerbread, I successfully resisted the temptations offered by zonal geraniums and calibrachoa. Neither is frost-hardy. However, I did fall for the lure of a wrought-iron trellis which barely fit in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment