Thursday, April 16, 2015

New Camera Accessories


Day 185: "Oh, no! Another gardening post!" I can hear you now. No, the Vinca minor was modelling for a test of a new piece of camera equipment, a "Little Big Shot."

You'll notice I stopped right there, without calling it a lens, without calling it a filter. I'd put it in the category of filters, but the manufacturer refers to it as a lens. It was designed for "bridge" cameras like my Canon SX30 IS which do not have interchangeable lenses. In fact, out of the box, the SX30 doesn't accept filters, either. I purchased an adapter ring which allows me to use 58mm filters. The Little Big Shot is, in short, a lens in a frame which attaches to the camera by means of an elastic band. It's not elegant, but hey, it does a great job, as you can see here. I have a set of macro filters which seem to distort the subject a bit more than is acceptable to me, and do not give as good resolution. I believe the vignetting in this shot is due to the fact that I did not remove the adapter ring I normally use for filters before attaching the LBS. All in all, I'm quite happy with this new...whatever you want to call it. It will be in my camera bag, and those macro filters may stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment