Thursday, April 9, 2015

When Experts Disagree


Day 178: I do not claim to know much about amphibians, so when I captured a portrait of a frog of unknown species, I referred it to an expert for identification. It wasn't the best photo as far as being a "field guide" shot. It failed to show enough definitive features, but my expert said she thought it was a Cascades Frog. She offered to refer it to another expert who reported back, "I think it's a Red-Legged Frog based on what we've observed previously in that location."

I'd like to point out something I learned early on in my career as a naturalist: never assume that your specimen is Species A simply because Species A is the most common in the area. My expert's expert's remark made my hair stand on end, an example of bad science if ever there was one.

Since my initial submission to the "panel of two," I have taken much better photos showing the full morphology of the frog in question, and just this evening referred them back to the experts along with this image of an egg mass. I offered my own observation and said that if I was wrong, I would appreciate knowing the points on which I failed. That said, at least I'll know I was in good company. One or the other of my experts has to be in error.

No comments:

Post a Comment